It’s been a very busy year for DMH Stallard. In September the Top 100 law firm merged with Rawlinson Butler. The merger brought the number of partners to over 70 and creates an overall team strength of nearly 350. Turnover for the combined mid-market firm is forecast to exceed £30m in 2017/18, two-thirds of which will be in Sussex and Surrey.
Throughout the year levels of business activity have been exceptionally strong, not least in the corporate team. M&A deals completed had already hit 20 before the merger and the increase in the regional team size to 15 partners, led by Jonathan Grant (pictured), Partner and Head of Corporate, has ensured last quarter momentum has been maintained.
Jonathan said: “I have been surprised at the strength of our regional M&A business, in terms of volume and quality, which counters suggestions that Brexit would put the sector into a tailspin. The key to running this number of deals is experienced partners and a great team; Abigail Owen, Kate Norgett and Danos Athanasi have all been busy and we expect a strong start to the new year.”
Jonathan added: “We have seen a concentration of deals in publishing, professional services and marketing, including online/tech businesses. We can also see our geographical spread widening, which has been a focus over the last three years, with deals on the South Coast, Gatwick, Guildford and in Kent”.
Top tier accolades for DHM Stallard
Chambers and Partners has bestowed a series of accolades on DMH Stallard. In its highly regarded annual guide for 2018, DMH Stallard’s position as the leading mid-market firm in the south east has been reflected with numerous senior partners being recognised.
Richard Pollins (pictured, right), Managing Partner at DMH Stallard, said: “We’ve been fortunate to receive a number of awards and industry recognition in recent times and while I’m always delighted most for how this reflects on the exceptional work of my colleagues, our determination to continually ‘raise the bar’ remains undimmed.”
Heidi Copland, Robert Worthing, Gwen Godfrey and Jonathan Grant all achieved an individual ‘Band 1’ ranking and another 26 individuals achieved Band rankings within their practice area.
Practice areas with ‘Tier 1’ rankings include private client, family and matrimonial, banking and finance, planning, corporate, environment and intellectual property.
The 2017 Deal Roster
- “Pre Pack” Acquisition of national charity Lifeline Project for Brighton based Change, Grow, Live; securing 1,000 jobs.
- Sale of specialist insurance brokers Morton Michel Holdings Ltd to PIB Group Ltd.
- Sale of trade magazine publisher Unity Media plc to the Mark Allen Group.
- Sale to Palatine Equity of Gatwick based training business Trade Skills4U.
- Sale of content marketing specialists BuzzSumo to leading global social intelligence company, Brandwatch.
- Sale of Chichester based independent book publisher Summersdale to Octopus Publishing Group.
- Partial share sale of Posturite Limited to U.S. corporate group, Fellowes.
- Joint venture between Colart International Holding Ltd and Lawrence King Publishing Ltd for Elephant (Art) magazine.
- MBO of Kent travel and tour operator Albatross Group Holdings Ltd.
- Acquisition of Luxembourg Property SPV from Europa Funds and Inland Homes plc.
- Sale of The West Yorkshire Printing Company Ltd.
- Acquisition of Sinclair Johnston & Partners by international design & project management group, Byrne Looby Partners (UK) Ltd.
- Acquisiton by leading global financial printer, Black & Callow Ltd, of Master Mail Ltd.
- Merger of Judd Associates Ltd’s web and design agency business with Michael Bell Brand Communications Ltd.
- Sale of Pinsure Ltd and PI4U Ltd of their FCA regulated insurance businesses to Brunel Professional Risks Ltd.
- Multiple Care Home Sector deals: Sale of Fields Care Home Ltd and Loxwood House, and the acquisition of a large Sussex based care home.
- Advised major shareholder on the sale of Brighton based sports nutrition/supplements business Reflex Nutrition plc to Associated British Foods plc.
- Joint Venture “Texas shoot-out” share acquisition of a company operating an English heritage site.
- Succession Plan and shareholder structuring for professional recruitment firm, Trevose Partners.
- Sale of Bacon and Company estate agents lettings and sales business to the Michael Jones operation.
- Acquisition by AVS Fencing Supplies of a new branch at Hartwell Nurseries, Aylesbury.